T: 0044 (0)7700059918
P A U L  F O S T E R 
Email: wpf1958@gmail.com
St George's Memorial Church
Their New Bells
Under the inspiration, driving force and dedication of Alan Regin, St George’s Memorial Church now has a new set of bells and these, in comparison to those they replaced, are capable of being rung.

Alan has been Steward of the Central Council Rolls of Honour for several years. He has worked hard to ensure that the rolls are as complete as possible, to the extent that an additional volume was required. He is also responsible for most of the photos and other additional material now forming part of the online version of the Rolls of Honour having visited many of the war cemeteries and memorials around the world where ringers are commemorated (or for some of the more distant ones, such as Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands, persuading other ringers to visit and take photographs when their trips took them nearby). During the centenary period he has organised publication in The Ringing World of monthly lists of ringing casualties for that month a century ago, and been a member of the band for many of the peal and quarter peal attempts organised to commemorate those ringers who lost their lives. It was of particular pleasure to read that Alan’s devotion to campanology has been recognised in the 2018 New Year Honours List and awarded an MBE.

I was delighted to be able to assist with the organization of the delivery of the bells in Ypres but it was not a solo effort. A great deal of help was provided by a host of good people in Ypres that included:
Schepen Verschoore from Ypres Town Council and a member of his staff, Peter Slosse;
Benoit Mottrie, Chairman of the Last Post Association;
Unloading the vehicles at Tyne Cot was arranged by Steven Vandenbussche;
The storage of the vehicles in the Infantry Barracks in Ypres was organised by Kolonel Christophe Onraet and his colleagues on site, Lieutenant Kolonel Carol Vermeulen and members of his staff.

A new ring of 8 bells which have been cast at the world famous bell foundry of John Taylor & Co in Loughborough for St George's Memorial Church in Ypres arrived in Ypres on Tuesday 30th August.

They left Loughborough on Tuesday 22nd August on First World War Dennis and Thornycroft army lorries owned by John Arthur and John Marshall from North Yorkshire. Richard Cockcroft assisted with the driving of the vehicles. Road transport was provided by Stuart Ritchie of E & N Ritchie Hauliers, Co Durham. The bells and lorries were part of the World War One commemorative display at the Great Dorset Steam Fair (from 24th to 28th August inclusive). The Great Dorset Steam Fair sponsored the road transport costs from Loughborough, Leicestershire, to the Great Dorset Steam Fair and then onto Ypres.

The bells and the lorries programme was:

Wednesday 30th August 2017

The Bells will be in Belgium and will travel from Tyne Cot Cemetery to the Menin Gate on the Dennis & Thornycroft lorries were present at the Last Post Ceremony at 8.00pm. The route and timings were:
2.30pm - 4.30pm Tyne Cot Cemetery Parking area
5.10pm - 5.35pm Hooge Crater Cemetery
5.50pm - 6.25pm Perth Cemetery (China Wall)
6.40pm - 7.15pm Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm)
7.30pm                    Arrive at Menin Gate
8.00pm                   Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate  
8.30pm                   Depart Menin Gate       

Thursday 31st August 2017
The Bells travel to St George's Memorial Church on the Dennis & Thornycroft lorries via Ypres Reservoir Cemetery and the Grote Markt, before arriving at the Church:
09.45am – 10.10am Ypres Reservoir Cemetery
10.20am – 10.50am The Grote Markt
11.00am                       Arrive at St George’s Memorial Church

At 5.00pm a special service was held in St George's Memorial Church where the bells were dedicated on the floor of the Church.

The fine tower of St George’s Memorial Church was built to contain change ringing bells, bells controlled by rope and wheel that turn through 360 degrees when they are rung and will be the first of their kind in Belgium. The inscriptions on the bells follow the same pattern of individual or group commemoration found in the church. Each bell has a Poppy motif cast around the shoulder.

The bells were hung in the tower during September and then other work in the tower was completed ready for the final dedication service which was held on:

Sunday 22nd October 2017

The bells were dedicated in the tower at a special service starting at 11.00am. The service was conducted by The Rt. Revd Dr Robert Innes, Bishop in Europe.

A set of 16 Victorian handbells that belonged to a Great War Veteran have been donated to the project by John Coles. These will be fully restored by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry and be available to local and visiting ringers.

Memorial Book

Timothy Noad, professional illuminator and calligrapher, has been commissioned to create a Memorial Book that will be on display in the newly panelled ringing room. Each of the 64 inscriptions on the bells will be recorded in the book together with details of the donors.
The Knott Brothers
Captain Henry Basil Knott
9th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers
Died on Tuesday 7th September 1915, aged 24
Grave reference V. B. 16, Ypres Town Cemetery.

Basil was born at the Manor House, Newcastle, on Thursday 5th February 1891, younger son of Sir James Knott, 1st Baronet, and Lady Margaret Knott, of Close House, Wylamon-Tyne, who was Member of Parliament for Sunderland in 1910. He was educated privately followed by Eton College as a member of Mr Arthur Conolly Gage Heygate’s House, leaving in 1910. He became a Director in the family shipping company, the Prince Line of Newcastle.
At the outbreak of war Basil volunteered and was commissioned in September 1914 and went into training with his brother at Bovington. He was promoted to Captain and left for Boulogne, France on Thursday 15th July 1915 on the SS Invicta. Basil was sent to northern France to complete his training before crossing the border to begin tours of duty in the front line.
Henry was in action at the Bois Carré, Vierstraat, and was mortally wounded in the head by a rifle bullet and was taken to No 10 Casualty Clearing Station at ‘Remy Sidings’ where he died the next day, and was buried in Poperinghe New Cemetery.
Henry left an estate of £20,196 13s 8d (approximately £1,691,255.00 today).
His father, Sir James, disposed of his company by the end of 1916 after the death of Basil’s brother, Jim and moved to Jersey. It was his wish to have the bodies of both his sons brought back to England but the authorities would not bend, despite him using all the connections and influence he had. Finally, they agreed that both boys would be buried next to each other, and so Basil was exhumed and moved to Ypres Reservoir and his brother brought from Fricourt, France.
There are buried now next to each and both graves carry the same inscription: “Devoted in life, in death not divided”.
Basil and Jim Knott are commemorated on many memorials raised their memory. They include:
In the porch of St George’s Memorial Church, Ypres, there are three plaques to the Knott family including one to their father who donated large sums of money to the church. A trust fund in his memory was created that still operates to this day: www.knott-trust.co.uk
The inscriptions in St George’s Memorial Church read:
“To the glory of God and in memory of his two sons killed in action. Major James Leadbitter Knott, DSO, 10th West Yorkshire Regiment, Captain Henry Basil Knott, 9th Northumberland Fusiliers. This tower was given by Sir James Knott. MDCCCCXXVIIII.”
“To the glory of God and in memory Major James Leadbitter Knott, DSO, 10th West Yorkshire Regiment, Captain Henry Basil Knott, 9th Northumberland Fusiliers, killed in action the bells in this tower were consecrated 11th November 1997.”
They are commemorated at Collercoats, Heddon, and Wylam, a memorial park at Heddon was created by their father. In St James and St Basil, Fenham, Newcastle, a pair of stained glass window show each brother in uniform.
He was recorded in Debretts Obituary — War Roll of Honour published in the 1921 edition.
His eldest brother, Thomas, who was working in New Zealand at the outbreak of war, served during the war and survived. He succeeded to the title and lived in Courtland, Exmouth, Devon.
For further information, see ‘A History of the Knott Family’ by Joan R Duckett, and ‘Pride of the Princes - History of The Prince Line’ by Norman L Middlemiss.

Major James Leadbitter ‘Jim’ Knott, DSO
10th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own)
Died on Saturday 1st July 1916, aged 33
Grave reference V. B. 15, Ypres Town Cemetery.

Citation for the Distinguished Service Order, London Gazette, Saturday 3rd June 1916:
“War Office, 3 Jun. 1916. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 3 June, 1916.” His name is listed below.

Jim was born on Saturday 2nd December 1882, elder son of Sir James Knott, 1st Baronet, and Lady Margaret Knott, of Close House, Wylamon-Tyne, who was Member of Parliament for Sunderland in 1910. He was educated at Eton College as a member of the Reverend Henry Daman’s and Mr Hugh Vibart Macnaghten’s Houses, leaving in 1900 and then travelled extensively in North America. He was appointed Deputy Managing Director to his father in The Prince Line, a shipping company in Newcastle.
Like his father, Jim took a great interest in politics and was selected as the Conservative Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Liberal-held constituency of Hyde. In 1916 a by-election was called in the seat but Jim gave up the opportunity of being the candidate so that he could remain at the front.
At the outbreak of war Jim volunteered and was gazetted and went into training with his brother at Bovington. He was promoted to Captain on Saturday 21st November 1914.
Early on Wednesday 14th July 1915 Jim arrived in Boulogne and entrained at 3.50pm for Lumbres. He marched with his men to billets in the Ouve area. Jim marched to Arques on Sunday 18th and after resting overnight moved to Steenvoorde. After the tiring march all ranks were delighted to have two days rest before continuing the march across the Belgian border to La Clytte, arriving in the early hours of Friday 23rd. All ranks were sent into the trenches in front of Kemmel for practical training with experienced, battle-hardened troops. On Monday 26th Private Arthur Hall was mortally wounded and died the next day; he was the first to be killed from the Battalion that brought home to everyone the reality of the Western Front — he is buried in Westouter Churchyard and Extension.
The Battalion began its first tour of duty in its own right on Monday 2nd August in the line between the Vierstraat to Wytschaete road and the Verbrandenmolen. At 10.45am a bombardment of the line began and at 11.10am the enemy blew a mine close to ‘B’ Company that wounded Lieutenant Maidlow and four of his men, however two German soldiers were killed! A week later Jim transferred north to support an attack at Hooge. A welcome break from the front line came early on Saturday 14th August when Jim arrived in La Clytte for twelve days of rest and training. When not instructing or organising his mens activities Jim was able to visit Bailleul and enjoy the cafés, concerts, restaurants and other facilities that abounded in the town. The reality of the Western Front returned on Thursday 26th when he marched with his men from La Clytte to relieve the Border Regiment in the front line near ‘Dead Dog Farm’, St Eloi.
The Battalion remained in the sector until the end of October when they were sent to Hooge that was described: “The trenches taken over were in a very bad condition. They had all suffered heavily from both our own and the enemy’s shellfire during the fighting between the end of July and the 25th September. Several trenches had been entirely destroyed and in the support and reserve lines it had not been possible to reconstruct them. North of the Menin Road the trenches varied from 80 to 20 yards distant from the enemy’s front trenches. The large crater blown up on June 10th, when the 3rd Division attacked, is 80 feet across and 40 deep. The inside has been constantly shelled and some hundreds of men are buried in it. On the line south of the Menin Road there is a gap of 200 feet between C.1 and C.3 trenches. It has never been possible to reconstruct the intervening trench C.2 as it is constantly destroyed by enemy fire. Zouave Wood is a mass of debris and broken trees. The enemy opposite are Wurtemburgers and regiments from Alsace.” Jim was relieved on Monday 1st November; he spent the rest of the month on tours of duty in the sector. The first ten days of December were spent in reserve at ‘York Huts’ before returning to Hooge for a tour. Jim and his men were looking forward to some rest in their camp at Busseboom, where they had arrived on Wednesday 15th December, but due to a gas attack they were stood to. Christmas Day was spent out of the line but Jim was back on duty in the trenches on Boxing Day where a raid was countered later in the evening.
Jim left the trenches of the Salient on Friday 7th January 1916 and after a series of marches with his men took them to Ruminghem where training continued until Saturday 5th February. He returned to a camp in Reninghelst on Monday 7th, a week later Jim was about to march to the line at St Eloi when the enemy blew a mine under ‘The Bluff’ so the relief was postponed. It was not until 6.00pm did the Battalion relieve the 10th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. Jim continued fighting in the sector and on Monday 28th February the Brigade Diary recorded: “10th West Yorkshire’s Intelligence Officer has sent in reports of considerable value as to the enemy’s works on the Bluff, which has enabled the artillery to destroy them. This officer, and the Intelligence Officer of the 7th Yorkshires, also discovered some enemy strong points opposite the trenches held by their Regiments. These are being destroyed by the siege battery.” Following a terrific bombardment on Wednesday 1st March the Battalion was involved in a fierce fight and lost one hundred and twenty officers and men, killed and wounded.
Active service in Belgium ended on Sunday 12th March; Jim was moved to the Armentières sector a week later where he remained until being sent south on Friday 12th May to train at Bayenghem for the Battle of the Somme. The first main action that Jim would take part in was at Fricourt, as described in the Divisional Diary: “As Fricourt Village and Wood had been excluded from attack in the first phase of operations, it was decided to cover the right flank of the 21st Division, by occupying the north edge of Fricourt village as far as Red Cottage and Lonely Copse. This attack was allotted to the 50th Infantry Brigade, which was therefore detached and placed under the orders of the G.O.C., 21st Division, and under his orders this brigade took over the trenches opposite Fricourt Village, with instructions to advance against their objective at 7.30 a.m. on the 1st July.”
The Battalion received the following order for the attack: “The 7th Yorkshire Regiment will assault on a front from the Wing Corner to south side of German Tambour in conjunction with the 22nd Brigade on the right, with the following objectives:
(1)    Of clearing up to the eastern edge of Fricourt Village from Well Lane to Cottage Trench and Cottage Trench to Willow Avenue, there joining with the 22nd Brigade (7th Division). On reaching this objective the Battalion will re-organize with the objective of
(2)    Clearing Fricourt Wood as far as Willow Trench and the track leading N.N.E. to X.28.C.8.0 as soon as the barrage on the west front of Fricourt Wood lifts (i.e. 2nd Zero plus fifteen minutes from S.W. edge of wood and 2nd Zero plus one hour forty-five minutes from a parallel line 150 yards back from edge of wood).
The 10th West Yorkshire Regiment will co-operate with the 7th Yorkshire Regiment against both objectives.
The boundary between the two battalions will be —
(1)    Through Fricourt village:- The line of trenches running from the junction of Hare Lane and Red Trench to Well Lane at F.3.b. central,
(2)    Through Fricourt Wood:- Roughly the line of clearing running N.E. through the middle of the wood.”

At 7.30am Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Dickson and Jim (his Second in Command) led the third and fourth companies forward only to be cut down by machine gun fire, they and most of their men were killed.
The War diary reads: “On 1st July 1916 at 7.30 a.m. the Battalion took part in the grand assault. Casualties were very heavy, chiefly, caused by machine guns which enfiladed our left flank and were so deadly that the third and fourth lines failed to get across ‘No Man’s Land’, resulting in 22 Officer casualties, including the Commanding Officer, Lt.-Col. Dickson and Major J. L. Knott, Second in Command were both killed and approximately 750 other ranks.”   
Jim was originally buried alongside Lieutenant Colonel Dickson in Fricourt New Military Cemetery. After the war he was reburied with his brother, see above.
A letter that Jim wrote home the day he was killed is displayed in the West Yorkshire Regiment Memorial Chapel in York Minster. The envelope was marked: “This letter is only to be sent to my father in the event of my death before 15 July 1916.” The letter reads:
British Army in the Field
1 July 1916
My dearest Father and Mother,
If you are reading this letter is means that this war has demanded the extreme sacrifice from me, and my object in writing is to bring you as far as I can, some measure of consolation and courage and patience to bear your sorrow.
It is not in any sense a message from the grave because whatever I may or may not doubt, I have very complete faith in the Life Eternal.
I know that I will be with you when you are reading this, and I want you to realise, and always remember that, although Providence has been decided that I may not return to you in the flesh, that I shall be always with you in the Spirit sharing your joys and sorrows.
I feel compelled by my knowledge of you both to write this, because my own great anxiety at the present time is the possibility of your collapse if I follow ‘Pomp’.
Momentous events are looming up and I have a premonition that I may not return to you. I have been dreaming of Basil recently, and I have an indistinct recollection of a letter in Basil’s handwriting dated June 1916, which I feel is his warning message. If I am correct then you will both know Basil and I are happy.
I hope and desire above all things that you will unduly grieve. You must not think harshly of me for refusing to accept safe employment, even if my action results and your sorrow. We have all to show courage — those out here in facing the music and taking what comes in a stoic manner — those at home in facing the loneliness that must follow the casualties of severe fighting.
I do want you to know and realise how deeply and whole-heartedly I have appreciated and loved you both for your unselfish devotion and all-forgiving love. My life has been one uninterrupted period of all that a man could wish for or desire. If I die now I am content to do so. Life is sweet, and holds out all that a young man could desire — power, wealth and above all, great love, but I want you to know that I faced the future fearlessly, and that I was cheerful and satisfied.
My medals are yours but I should like them destroyed when you both join me — whenever that may be.
Always remember that I am relying upon you both to be good brave parents, and that I can only be really happy in a new life if I know and can see that you are happy too.
My clothes, furniture and motor car must all be immediately disposed of, everything which reminds you of my death must be removed — this is my urgent desire and wish.
God grant that you will be given health, strength and happiness for many years.
Your devoted son,

Jim left an estate of £104,350 2s 0d (approximately £8,738,269.00 today).
He is commemorated on several memorials, see his brother above for further details.
Jim was recorded in Debretts Obituary — War Roll of Honour published in the 1921 edition.

In the Footsteps of a VC and a DCM

In the Footsteps of a VC and a DCM
The Friends of the Tank Memorial Ypres (TYMS) organised two wonderful days on Wednesday 29th and Thursday 30th April when a commemorative plaque was unveiled at the Restaurant Merlijn to Captain Clement Robertson, VC and Gunner Cyril Allen, DCM. Everyone gathered together at 11.00am on Wednesday 29th at the Tank Memorial on Guynemerplein, Poelkapelle, where the moving Annual Ceremony was held. Milena Kolarikova-Lock was the Master of Ceremonies who gave  fascinating and interesting introduction to proceedings. The private ceremony attracted a large number of attendees and it was the most perfect commemoration for the officers and men from the Tank Corps who gave their lives on The Salient during World War One. The Honorary President, Lieutenant General David Leakey, CMG, CBE, (better known to many of us as Black Rod in the Palace of Westminster) gave an excellent address, followed by the Last Post, Laurence Binyon’s famous words, a blessing by Father Terry Llewellyn, then wreathes were laid by many (including the British Embassy, the British Legion, Belgian authorities and army) that concluded with the two families of Clement Robertson and Cyril Allen wreathes. With the ceremonies complete we were invited to enjoy an excellent, and most generous, reception in the Town Hall in Langemarck.
In the early afternoon we assembled at the Restaurant Merlijn, Reutel. It was the object of the mission undertaken by Clement Robertson and his tanks.  From Sunday 30th September to Thursday 4th October 1917 Clement worked without a break under heavy fire preparing a route for his tanks to go into action against Reutel. Clement finished late on the night of 3rd October and at once led his tanks up to the starting point for the attack. He brought them safely up by 3.00am on 4th October and at 6.00am led them into action. The ground was very bad, heavily broken by shell fire and the road was completely demolished for five hundred yards, from here he led them on foot. Clement was killed, his Commanding Officer wrote: “It is impossible for me to attempt to express to you what a splendid example he has set us all. I feel his loss very deeply myself, as he was such a splendid officer, and so popular with us all, officers and men alike.” Private Cyril Allen who accompanied Clement and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was killed on Tuesday 20th November 1917 and is commemorated on Cambrai Memorial. Cyril had written a letter to Clement’s parents but it had not been posted. The Robertson and Allen families met at the ceremonies in Poelkapelle to unveil the Tank Memorial and the contents of the letters were shared for the first time in over ninety years.
Ian Robertson, great-nephew of Clement, gave a moving address that told the tale of Clement and his comrade Cyril Allen and how by their bravery they did such good work and were rewarded for their bravery. Chaplain, Father Brian Llewellyn of The St George’s Memorial Church, blessed the Memorial before General David Leakey unveiled it. A number of wreathes were laid by Her Excellency Alison Rose, British Ambassador to Belgium; General David Leakey; Terry Whittles, the National Vice Chairman of The Royal British Legion and by the families led by Ian Robertson and John Allen (both great nephews of the brave men). With the beautiful memorial unveiled we moved to the garden of the restaurant where a flagpole had been placed at the object of the attack. Ian Robertson and John Allen jointly raised the flag of the Tank Regiment that too will remain as a beacon to all those who visit the area.
The ceremonies at Poelkapelle and Reutel were poignant and deeply moving. To be there with the families of the men, together with their original medals, was an experience of a life time. The restaurant then provided the most excellent buffet reception when we had the opportunity to over indulge and enjoy the company of the many family and friends attending the ceremonies.
The excellent day was capped by the 8.00pm ceremony at the Menin Gate where, thankfully, I was ‘on duty’ to read the story of 16 year old Private William Allen who had died 100 years ago to that day whilst serving with the 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment and is commemorated on Panel 35 of the Menin Gate. It was a particularly moving ceremony with David Leakey leading the wreath layers, Chris Lock as Standard Bearer in the centre of the Menin Gate and Ian Robertson with Cryil Allen representing their illustrious forebears.
The day would have been complete as it was, however, it was to continue the next day. We met at ‘Joist Farm’, Oude Kortijkstraat, just along to the road from the Black Watch Memorial at Polygon Wood, and opposite the Memorial to Sergeant Henry James Nicholas, VC. Here we met Chris Lock, Founder of the TMYS, and Honorary Chairman of The Friends of The TMYS, an expert guide who gave us the most wonderful on the spot running commentary walk covering the ground that Clement Robertson and Cyril Allen had trod in 1917. The road was there in 1917, but submerged by mud but if the tanks kept to the tape and followed the road it was good enough for them to trundle over. The tanks came from the area near ‘Stirling Castle’ on the Menin Road and began their attack from ‘Joist Farm’. In Clement and Cyril’s footsteps we walked along the road and to the spot where Clement was killed and Cyril badly wounded. Here, on the ground, the actual place, where the Victoria Cross was awarded to Clement the Distinguish Conduct Medal to Cyril. Ian took out the Victoria Cross that was presented to Clement’s family that he proudly owns. As we looked about us we were reminded of the two other Victoria Crosses awarded within yards of where we stood, Sergeant Henry Nicholas and Brigadier Lewis Pugh Evans VC, CB, CMG, DSO & Bar, DL (then a Lieutenant Colonel) in two different actions.
We completed the walk along the road back to the Restaurant Merlijn and after some refreshment left for Oxford Road Cemetery. Clement was killed in the action and is buried in the cemetery, but Cyril survived only to be killed in action at The Battle of Cambrai on Tuesday 20th November 1917 and is commemorated on Cambrai Memorial, Louveral. In the most brilliant sunshine a moving ceremony was held at Clement’s grave and for the first time since the award of the Victoria Cross it was laid on his grave thus reuniting the recipient with his medal, in addition, Cyril’s DCM was laid on the grave too. This unique ceremony was so  moving, not only to the families of the men but to all of us lucky enough to witness the event. It was an event that should, in my opinion, have been shared by so many more if it had only been possible.
Without Chris and Milena Lock, Ian Robertson, John Allen, David Leakey and many others, none of this would have been possible. I cannot thank them so much for inviting me to the event, two of the most moving days of my life.

Captain Clement Robertson, VC
3rd Battalion The Queen’s
(Royal West Surrey Regiment), Tank Corps
Died on Thursday 4th October 1917, aged 28
Grave reference believed to be buried in III. F. 7.

Clement’s citation for the Victoria Cross, London Gazette, Friday 14th December 1917:
”For most conspicuous bravery in leading his Tanks in attack under heavy shell, machine-gun and rifle fire. Captain Robertson, knowing the risk of the tanks missing the way, continued to lead them on foot, guiding them carefully and patiently towards their objective although he must have known that his action would almost inevitably cost him his life. This gallant officer was killed after his objective had been reached, but his skilful leading had already ensured successful action. His utter disregard of danger and devotion to duty afford an example of outstanding valour.”

Clement was born in Maritzburg, Natal, on Friday 15th November 1889 fourth son of Major John Albert Robertson (late Royal Artillery), and Mrs Frances Octavia Caroline Robertson (née Wynne), of Struan Hill, Delgany, County Wicklow. He was educated at Haileybury College and went up to Trinity College, Dublin where he graduated with an engineering degree. Clement went to work in Egypt. He enjoyed playing golf and was founder member of the Delgany Golf Club, County Wicklow.
Clement returned to England at the outbreak of war and joined the University and Public School Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers. He transferred to the Tank Corps in January 1917. From Sunday 30th September to Thursday 4th October 1917 Captain Robertson worked without a break under heavy fire preparing a route for his tanks to go into action against Reutel. Clement finished late on the night of 3rd October and at once led his tanks up to the starting point for the attack. He brought them safely up by 3.00am on 4th October and at 6.00am led them into action. The ground was very bad and heavily broken by shell fire and the road demolished for five hundred yards, from here he led them on foot.
Clement was killed, his Commanding Officer wrote: “It is impossible for me to attempt to express to you what a splendid example he has set us all. I feel his loss very deeply myself, as he was such a splendid officer, and so popular with us all, officers and men alike.”
A memorial was erected in the parish church in Delgany, County Wicklow, with the inscription: “In memory of Captain Clement Robertson, V.C., Tank Corps, killed in action 4th October 1917. Faithful unto death.” He is also commemorated at Delgany Golf Club.

200195 Private Cyril Sheldon Allen, DCM
‘A’ Battalion Tank Corps
Died on Tuesday 20th November 1917
Commemorated on Panel 13, Cambrai Memorial.

Cyril’s citation for the Distinguished Conduct Medal:
“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. On the night of October 1, 1917, he volunteered to accompany the commander of another section to assist in taping a route from Observatory Ridge to Polygon Wood. He was blown up by a shell, but, despite his shaken condition, he still carried on. On the night of October 3, 1917, he again volunteered for this duty and assisted in taping a route from Polygon Wood to Black Watch Corner. A heavy enemy barrage was encountered, but he continued to assist in laying the tape, running from shell-hole to shell-hole with his officer. On October 4, 1917, he remained with the section commander and accompanied, on foot, the tanks into action. His officer was killed while leading the tanks in front of the infantry. In spite of the enemy being within a few yards of him, this man collected all maps and papers from the body of his officer and took them back to his company commander.”

Cyril was born at home, the son of Ernest Allen and Sarah  Allen of Normanby, Lincolnshire. He grew up locally, his father the Head Gardener at Normanby Hall.

Share by: